-
May 26th, 2000, 04:41 AM
#1
Inactive Member
ok, this is not a question, i just want to know what all of you think about this.
i was reading a question about how to sync sound and all the stuff you have to do w/ a clap board or get crystal, and then how to edit it and all that stuff, but . . .
why not just do silent????
isn't that the point of making a film, to show someone a story? not to tell them, or it would be no better than reading a book, or watching a sitcom on tv.
I think that as filmmakers we should be able to tell a story, quite well, using images ONLY, to me that's the mark of a quality film, if you can watch it and still get the jist w/o dialogue, that means the story is being driven by action, and movement, not words, words cannot be seen and film is a visual media, if you want to tell a story go write a book, and me i'll stick to showing you.
Thanx
c
-
May 26th, 2000, 05:54 AM
#2
Inactive Member
well, to some extent i agree.
I was hearing lots about the dogme folks so I just had to go check out their site. What a load of shit. The say that films are about the story and that's all that matters. True, films are definitely about the story, but if you don't care about images then why don't you read a book. If you can a story effectively without sound then of course do it. It worked for a long time when motion pictures were first invented. I like making music videos. Using other peoples songs and setting a bunch of images with similar thems to them. It's amazing to me how much you can emphasize a point or lyric in a song with a 2 second video clip.
Filmmaking is definitely an aesthetic medium. If you think the images aren't important like those media hungry dogme freaks then you definitely picked the wrong way to tell your story. Try writing not image making.
ttfn.
tash.
-
May 30th, 2000, 01:58 PM
#3
eddie
Guest
Hmmm, I dont agree with you. Film isnt a silent medium. Film is a combination of both images and sounds. They can both enhance or ruin the story.
I think its really good practice making silent films. If you can hold a story together without dialog or music then you've succeeded somewhere, but it depends why you are making films. Its very difficult these days to watch a silent film. It gets boring and a little frustrating for most people. Sound is such a lot of fun! To say that film is just images is a big mistake I think. I think too many small time film makers think like that, and as a consequence their films have awful sound to them. A good soundtrack can make a badly made film watchable (Im not sure that it works the other way around....)
The soundtrack can change a drama into a comedy, or a romance into a farce.
Dont skip the soundtrack. I think its as important, if not more than the actual filming!
But then, as it goes it all depends on the effect you want to give. And since adding sound (other than music) to super 8 is such a pain in the arse, why not miss out dialog...?
-
June 6th, 2000, 04:42 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I agree about a soundtrack...when I say silent film I basically mean without dialogue...not no sound at all. The original "silent films" still had soundtrack. Soundtrack definitely can effect the overall feel of the film, I think without dialogue,though, the story is almost entirely dependent on the images.
-
June 7th, 2000, 03:18 AM
#5
Inactive Member
"Even Silent Films Were Not Silent"
-
June 8th, 2000, 12:32 AM
#6
Inactive Member
totally,
i think that a film must have a sound track, or you'll lose your audience, then, what's the point!? What i originally saying is that i had no clue why people would spend all this time getting all worked up about how difficult it is to sync stuff up when you've got almost no equipment, and there is no more super8 stock, why not just make a silent, that's the point of useing film, to show, and yes i'm a film student and i'm totally with all those people who say story is everything, you've got nothing if you haven't got a good story!
c-
-
June 8th, 2000, 01:34 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Anyone seen the resurrected copy of The Passion of Joan of Arc? If you ever lose touch with the power of image alone, that film will inspire you beyond belief.
I think the best training someone could have would be doing silent film while producing radio drama. In both of these arts, the limits make you resourceful with the medium. If you could become master of picture without sound, and sound without picture, imagine what you could do putting the two together. No waste.
-
June 8th, 2000, 04:34 AM
#8
Inactive Member
-
June 8th, 2000, 01:35 PM
#9
Inactive Member
EXACTLY, EMAGERS
EMAGERS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks